Vibrant Downtown Chandler Bursting with New Development
Downtown Chandler (DC) is a vibrant neighborhood brimming with enticing restaurants, quaint shops, and fun events happening throughout the year. From popular brewpubs to fine art galleries to top-rated golf at the historic San Marcos Golf Resort, Downtown Chandler has something for everyone. The architecture of DC makes it a unique destination with original buildings from the early 1900s to the award-winning, modern City Hall. “Most of the downtown areas of any community are kind of the heartbeat of the community, and how you treat that downtown is an important factor when people are looking to relocate here both personally and professionally,” said Downtown Redevelopment Manager Kim Moyers.
In recent years, Downtown Chandler has been bursting with new development - offering a diverse assortment of dining and entertainment options as new restaurants and brewpubs move into storefronts that were once vacant. DC has been transformed due to redevelopment outside the historic square and there appears to be no slowing down of new development anytime soon. A total of five restaurants and bars opened in DC during the first five months of 2019, with several more slated to open before year’s end.
New Square, one of Downtown chandler’s newest developments opening in late fall, is a modern, sustainable multi-use commercial/class A office development consisting of a three-story, 47,000-square-foot office building, an 8,700-square-foot retail building, a 112-bed Hilton Garden Inn, and a 940 space free parking garage. Phase II of the development will consist of five to eight stories of additional office. This project is located on the west side of Arizona Avenue, across from City Hall and one block from the Overstreet development.
Developers are expected to break ground on a new apartment complex called DC Heights this winter. This project will be home to 250 new apartments and some retail located at the southwest corner of Commonwealth Avenue and California Street. Moyers said the DC Heights project, as well as two apartment complexes that were completed in the past four years, is helping to drive the development of new restaurants and businesses downtown.
Downtown Chandler New Businesses
Several new businesses have opened in Downtown Chandler in the past year, including:
- Overstreet Chandler: The 77,000-square-foot mixed-use development on Chandler Boulevard and Arizona Avenue features the state’s first Flix Brewhouse, a dine-in movie theater with a gastropub and in-house brewery, offices and restaurant space.
- QuartHaus: Longtime downtown Chandler property owners Peter Sciacca and his wife, Sigrid, opened the taproom on Washington and Chicago streets in April 2018 with 25 beers and eight wines on tap. The taproom also features a large courtyard with a basketball hoop and games. Peter Sciacca said the couple plans to start making their own beer and spirits in the next few months.
- FLO Yoga & Cycling: The fitness studio opened on Frye Road in November and offers spinning, yoga and “flex classes,” which range from kickboxing-inspired circuit workouts to Pilates.
- Mingle + Graze: The restaurant opened in January on San Marcos Place in the heart of downtown Chandler and offers cheeses and charcuteries. Visitors can bring their own bottle of wine or beer to enjoy with the food.
- Civic Market: A one-stop-shop offering wood-fired pizza, coffee, local goods, and salon services, Civic Market opened in April in the former ICAN youth center space on Washington and Chicago streets.
- The Sleepy Whale: Owner Justin Evans, the mastermind behind the Wandering Tortoise in Phoenix, opened the craft beer bar in May at the site of a former automotive business at Arizona Avenue and Frye Road.
- Craft 64: The newest brewpub and restaurant downtown offers artisan wood-fired pizza made with homemade mozzarella cheese and local beers.
More Restaurants and Office Spaces to Come
Gadzooks Enchiladas & Soups’ newest Valley location is under construction next to the Sleepy Whale and is expected to open in early fall. Revint Solutions, a medical consulting firm, is opening its regional offices on the second floor of the modern and stylish Overstreet, a mixed-use development with office, restaurant, retail, and entertainment space that opened on Arizona Avenue on December 2018. Tucson-based Truland Burgers & Greens and breakfast spot Overeasy also will open at Overstreet.
Once a vacant lot across from Chandler City Hall, the New Square Chandler development is a mixed-use project soon to be home to a three-story, 50,000 square-foot glass curtain building with retail space on the lower level and offices on the other two floors; a stand-alone, multi-tenant office building with 9,000 square feet of restaurant space; an event square, green space and pedestrian corridors connecting New Square to the rest of downtown; and a 112-room, four-story Hilton Garden Inn. Construction of phase one is expected to be completed in fall 2019 for an estimated $33 million, said developer Spike Lawrence.
Despite Downtown Chandler's rapidly changing landscape, longtime business owners say they are not intimidated by the new competition. More retail, restaurants, and bars attract more customers downtown, which means more pedestrian traffic for local businesses. New business owners also don’t see themselves as a threat to the established businesses in the area. The new development will bring hundreds of jobs and new attractions that will continue to fire up the city’s economy, officials said.
Downtown Chandler Quick Links
- DC Award-winning Restaurants, Retail, and Services Directory
- Downtown Chandler Calendar of Events
- Best Downtown Chandler Parking
Work With The Best Chandler Real Estate Agent - Cathy Carter
Serving the local community for over two decades, Cathy has helped many families buy and sell homes in Chandler and the surrounding East Valley. One of the things Cathy loves most about being a top real estate agent in Chandler is sharing in the joy that her clients feel when they find the home of their dreams. Cathy’s genuine and caring approach to the real estate process allows her to connect with her clients on a more personal level which allows her to find the perfect home for their lifestyle and needs in the right neighborhood or community.
Cathy truly understands how important it is to build trust and long-standing relationships with all of her clients and prides herself on her many client referrals over the years. By partnering with Cathy, you’ll have a highly-skilled and experienced Chandler real estate agent by your side who will protect your interests, advocate for you, and handle the complexities of the transaction for the best possible outcome. Although the market is always changing, Cathy’s commitment to exemplary, personalized service is unwavering. If you would like to learn more about Chandler homes for sale and living in this dynamic community, feel free to call Cathy Carter at (480) 459-8488 or get in touch with her here!
CATHY CARTER, ABR, CRS, CDPE
RE/MAX Alliance Group
725 W. Elliot Rd., Suite 111
Gilbert, AZ. 85233